Sunday, February 10, 2019

Turning the Corner . . .Or is that an oncoming train?

There are moments when it takes my breath away when I realize how much grief and loss have demanded of me, and how much is continued to be asked of me.  I look backwards four and half years and am amazed that I am still standing.  I've proclaimed mightily how hard I've worked to recover, and it is true.  It has taken everything that I have to get this far but unfortunately the damage from the loss is more than emotional, but incredibly physical as well, something I was not expecting.  The last year and a half I've had to deal with aFib (brought on by the stress of the loss), and a surgery to treat the aFib.  I had made the commitment to stay in our home and to update it last fall, which I did.  But then I developed a late onset rare complication from that surgery.  Two and half months to get a diagnosis (the physicians in the practice had never seen this complication in my type of surgery).  I was pretty ill.  I kept soldiering on, doing the best I could to work and live life, but there was nothing left in the tank.  I missed the holidays with my family.  The treatment is long and the pace of improvement has been glacial.  Two months into treatment and I was feeling like it would never ever get better.  My doctor reminded me that it was a long treatment and improvement would be slow, but after being ill for four months, it felt like it would never get better.  I kept hoping that one day I would wake up and feel better, a lot better.  But it didn't happen.

And then, last week, I had a long busy week.  I did my best to parse my energy to get through a 60 hour work week, which a month before would not have been possible.  I realized I felt better, I had more stamina.  And although I was worn out after that long week, I wasn't debilitated.  I could breath better.  I'm not fully recovered, and that will probably take a lot more time.  I didn't realize how ill I was until I started to feel a little more like myself.  I also acknowledged that I have just passed through the most difficult weeks of the year for me, the anniversary of Tom's death followed closely by my birthday--both accompanied by a lovely cold.  There is a heaviness to those days, and it was a difficult anniversary this year.  In the last month I finally turned off Tom's cell phone and his car has been rehomed with our nephew.  Two emotional steps.  I feel like I've cleared the decks, that I'm ready to move forward in an entirely different way.  I no longer want to talk about how far I've come (no promises there, though), I want to live how far I've come--and how far I may go.

As I was driving home on Friday night and the thought occurred to me, actually it was a sense of knowing, that the very best of my life is yet to come.  It is an awesome feeling, knowing. The person that I want to most share this with, who would be happiest for me, is Tom.  There is no doubt that he is beaming and saying "that's my girl."

4 comments:

  1. I'm happy to hear that you've turned a corner on the health front and the emotional front, somewhat. I hope to get there someday too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are finally feeling better. Your comment about having the sense that the best of your life is yet to come made me cry. I am so happy for you and hope that I will get there someday as well. Right now I am still just existing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this blog. So happy that you are feeling better. You are truly a Warrior Of Widowhood. Tom is certainly looking down from up above and smiling. You are an inspiration to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THis post brought tears to my eyes. Do you know what an inspiration you are? Right now I'm not being tested by anything as monumental as you have beene, but I know I will think of your approach to life and how you soldier on through whatever was thrown at you I"ll think that maybe I could too, when new struggles come to me.

    ReplyDelete