Friday, November 27, 2009

Gratitude


Yesterday was Thanksgiving. The day for gratitude. It is so easy to forget about all that we have as we get lost in the work-a-day world. Yesterday was a lovely day. We have an annual tradition in my family. When we sit down at the table, before the feast begins, we have a toast. We go around the table and each person shares what they are thankful for. I always cry. It is also a family tradition. Yesterday, due to some miscommunication, we didn't get to share before we ate, but afterwards, so there was no incentive to keep it short. It was wonderful. My 12 year old nephew started. He went around the table and shared his gratitude about EACH person. He was so kind and sweet and articulate and funny. What a way to start. Each of my nephews did the same. For some reason, Ryan's start got us all in touch with our feelings.


This year has had its ups and downs. There have been job losses, health issues, too much work, not enough fun, fear of the future, changes, moments of triumph and loss. But each year, as my husband said, we know what we are doing for Thanksgiving. We are going to my brother's, eat a fantastic meal that is prepared by my sister-in-law, hang out with the family, have fun, and share that for which we are grateful. Yesterday I felt closer to my family than I ever have. More a part of the whole. And that is what I have always wanted. Something to truly be grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment