Monday, October 10, 2016

I'm Tired

Every time I say those words, in my head I hear Madeline Kahn singing the song in Blazing Saddles.  While the reasons why I am tired are very different than the reasons of which Ms. Kahn is warbling, I'm still kaput!

One of the things I did not expect from mourning is how physically and mentally draining it is.  I expected emotionally draining, but it has depleted me body, mind and soul.  My grief counselor has repeatedly told me that it takes all of our life force to mourn.  I easily accepted that at first.  But, come on, its been 20 months, that should no longer be the case.  Sadly it still is.

Feeling my feelings takes a lot of energy on any day.  Then throw in the hidden land mines that are unexpected, like cleaning out the kitchen cabinets and opening the cabinet with all of Tom's coffee.  Tom loved him some good coffee.  If we didn't have 10 pounds of coffee in the house something was wrong.

Now add in the self care.  Being so depleted meant that I really had to look deeply into my nutrition as well as stress management.  So there are regular grief counseling appointments, massage appointments, acupuncture appointments, naturopathic appointments.  And then there were the two eye surgeries with the myriad of appointments and four times daily eye drops for over two months.  I haven't even been able to think about getting back to the gym--soon I hope.

Did I mention all of the death duties?  Estate matters, paperwork.  Disposing of Tom's personal effects, which is both emotionally and mentally exhausting--decisions to be made and then the actual "letting go".  And then I must deal with all of my estate matters--trust, will, power of attorney, etc. 

How about a dash of daily living?  Shopping, cleaning, cooking, bill paying, pet care, laundry, auto maintenance, home maintenance.  I have made more trips to the hardware store in the last several months than I did in the last several years.  I swear that the light bulbs in my house have band together to go on strike and burn out!  I can't believe how many I've replaced this year.  I didn't know we had that many lights in the house.  I used to have someone to share all of these chores with and now I must do them all alone.

For grins, lets add in making a living.  Going to work, running a business.  I certainly haven't been able to apply the usual energy that I would to my career, the intensity that I would work.  But working is something that I must do, both financially and emotionally necessary.  So much of my self identity has been wrapped up in my career.

And then there is the energy that goes into relationships--maintaining the relationships that I have, and fortunately there are many.  There is very little left for cultivating new friendships, but there is still a void to fill and a future to rebuild. 

There is one thing that is really missing and that is FUN!  Not much left for fun.  But I have had some and I need to have some more.  I am looking forward to going to Hawaii at the end of the month.  It will be bittersweet since it was our happy place.  It was also a place we went for restoration and I'm hoping to have that again. 

And finally, there is the emotionally energy it takes to look forward, to remain hopeful for the future, and to remain optimistic.  No wonder I am tired.  I can't imagine what it must be like for those still raising children or caring for others.  They must have more reserves than I have to survive that.

I have beaten myself up over my "laziness" because I've not been able to force myself to do all the things that need to be done.  I've been expecting myself to do the impossible.  In reality I am not able to do so.  Job number one is to recover, and to re-engage with life.  It is going to take much longer than I thought and certainly much longer than I had hoped. 


9 comments:

  1. Again, thank you. I relate more than you may know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I'm sure you do. I don't know how you managed to sell your home and move. I can't imagine the energy it would take to do that when I can't even finish a deep clean of my kitchen.

      Delete
  2. Your ability to do all you do and with panosh-exhausts me 😎

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can also relate. I know that others have much on their plates as well, but having to do it all alone is HUGE. I bounce ideas off of my kids or others but it just isn't the same. My sister said once that there was a reason mourning in the "old" days was structured and I agree. Sometimes I think that wearing black so everyone would know, plus all the other rituals had a very real purpose. Now I just feel so fake. I go about my day and no one (unless they really know me) knows how I am just going through the motions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Margie by the way. I don't know how to add my name. Ok, now this one will. So confused....

      Delete
  4. You have done and are doing a fabulous job...frankly, just not curling up in a big ball is hard enough, much less doing everything you have so aptly described. Later, you will, as I have, look back and be amazed at all you managed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your posts have new and urgent poignancy (?) for me today. Thank you for your public and private sharing. It's like a lighthouse in the midst of a violent storm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your posts have new and urgent poignancy (?) for me today. Thank you for your public and private sharing. It's like a lighthouse in the midst of a violent storm

    ReplyDelete