Sunday, September 5, 2010

I feel like I'm reclaiming a lost part of myself

We purchased an electronic keyboard this week and set it up yesterday. I was amazed that there were a few songs that I remember from 40 years ago (Silent Night being one of them). I studied organ for a few years as a child (as well as flute). I neither had the discipline nor did I believe that I had any talent/apptitude for such, so I quickly sold myself a bill of goods and stopped playing. I started playing bass 3 months ago and today, just fooling around on the keyboard, I realized that I missed it. Learning bass has actually helped me understand things about music (like chords) that I never put together. I’m also interested in playing flute again, but I think I have enough on my plate for the time being. For the most part, practice is fun (although at time frustrated and occassionaly boring). It certainly is different and allows me focus on something other than work. It is becoming joyous, particular when something comes easily or feels good. As long I can keep the perfectionism out of my head, it will great.

No comments:

Post a Comment