Sunday, February 15, 2009

Project 365

Project 365 is about taking one photo a day for a year to document your life. I started this about a month ago and have found that it takes on a life of its own. I post each day on www.43things.com . Whether or not I can keep up with it for a year is questionable, time will tell, but I love what the effort does for me. It forces me to focus on the little things. To try to find at least one thing a day that is worth photographing. And that means slowing down and taking a look around me. Its a pleasant diversion from my obsessive need to work all the time. I'm finding that even the most mundane things can be interesting. A little creative cropping and there is a work of art. It is also documents the big and little things of life. Last week I was flying out of Buffalo Niagara Airport the day after the plane crash. The flags at the airport were at half mast. I photographed them--documenting for me the tragedy that occurred there and how close I was to it.

I also really enjoy looking at the photos that others have posted to both get ideas and to get a snapshot (pun intended) into their lives and personality. Its not like I have a lot of time to devote to hobbies, but this doesn't take a lot. I'm using a Canon PowerShot SX110IS and I edit on Picture Manager which is a basic tool that comes with Microsoft products. Nothing high end about either product but it works. Maybe later I will get an slr with lots of lenses and learn to use Photoshop, but this is the best and simplest approach for me. I try not to make it too complicated, but I do have high expectations and I want every photo to be inspirational. Guess what--they are not. But they do, in fact, document what is going on in my life. It will be fun to look at them all at the end of the year.

The big idea is to look at the little things. I do not do a good job at stopping to smell the roses. But this forces me to. And I look forward to it, most of the time. My daily life is not something that is particularly important or worthy. But it is my life, and if it takes photos to slow me down and think about my life, then it is worth it. Because in slowing down I become aware of all of the blessings in my life. I become aware of how connected we all are. I reconnect with my higher power and the beauty of this world. I enjoy it more, even if its only through the act of photography. Project 365 is a great tool that goes beyond the obvious.

So I will also be posting to the blog my daily posting of photographs. Look for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment