Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Movies

I admit it, I'm not a big movie goer. I always see trailers and think, I want to see that movie. But then trying to find time and motivation to actually go--well there are just too many other things to do. Sometimes I will rent a movie when I'm stuck in a hotel room and there is nothing on TV. I don't think I even darkened the door of a movie theater during all of 2008. And every year I make a pledge to see all of the movies nominated for Best Picture before the Oscar. And every year I never succeed. However, this year will be different. My bff is here for a week and we are hitting the theater. So far we've seen Doubt, The Reader, The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons, Frost/Nixon and Milk.


It's interesting watching movies that have been nominated. Supposedly they are the best of the best. And so far, I would say that four of the five movies I've seen are really great (although Doubt was not nominated for best picture). I like movies that either entertain me or make me think. I am not a fan of gratuitous violence or stupid comedy. I am not in love with Benjamin Buttons. It was a nice and unusual story but it wasn't as compelling as the other four that I saw. I am more drawn in to stories that make me think and cause a bit of moral dilemma--where I can see both sides of a story and am torn between them. I like the ones that make me continue to think about them after I've left the theater.

So this week I will make my goal to see all of the nominated movies for Best Picture. And perhaps this year I will make it to more movies so I won't be doing a last minute movie fest next February. But it has been fun. And it makes me stop thinking for a while about my life and focus on something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment